Monday, February 25, 2013

Willa Lenard Hancock; my Grandmother

Grandma Willa, age 12
1882 - 1975

Grandma Willa Lenard Hancock never let me know how it was going to be. I don’t recall any words of wisdom. Nothing. She was the only grandma I knew. My other grandma died in 1910; 41 years before my birth. Now, here I am at age 61 trying to gather all of my recollections of Grandma.

Grandma would visit. She had an air of queen status about her. Things had to be cleaned up and put away. Things looked clean and neat when grandma visited. Her thumb was on mama’s neck. I can say that at 61.

When I was born, in 1951, grandma was already 70 years old. I don’t recall her doting on me, her last grandchild. She lived with her other daughter, my Aunt Sayde. Mother always called her ‘Sister’. I think she was the favorite.
Post a Comment